Sunday, May 10, 2009

Possibly the best birthday present ever

I moved out of home when I was 17.

For my 18th birthday I asked The Parental Units for a toolbox and tools, figuring they'd get me better quality stuff than I would (actually I knew I'd rather spend my meagre earnings on clothes, records, nightclub entry fees, glasses of cheap nasty wine at said nightclubs or tickets for the last train home at 3am than on tools. I was almost 18, after all!)

And whenever I've need to pull the hammer they bought me that year, or the ratchet push drill/ screw driver they bought me that year out of the tool box they also bought me that year I think of them and the quite sensible-underneath-it-all 17 year old me that requested something as seemingly boring as tools for my birthday 25 years ago.
Thanks Mum! Thanks Dad!

No comments :